Thursday, September 3, 2015

A Little Compassion Goes a Long Way

A Little Compassion Goes a Long Way

Psalm 112:4 "Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous."


Yesterday we drove to the Costco in Nanaimo.  Often we have been there and it hasn't been nearly as busy as the one in Victoria, but yesterday it was very crowded probably because it is back to school next week.  The most crowded place seemed to be where the clothing is.  Narrow isles and lots of people made maneuvering very difficult, with lots of "excuse me" or "sorry" if you were in someone's way.


At one point I was looking at some sweaters and could hear a bit of a commotion to the left of where I was standing. I looked up to see an elderly man beside a young man with a buggy.  The younger man was saying "you don't have to be so rude" and the older man said "you are the one who is rude".   They made their way past each other and I could see that behind the older man was his wife, who was clearly mortified..  she asked him not to talk like that when he was with her.  


The husband passed me without a glance, but I caught the lady's eye and looked ashamed and nervous at what I might say, so I gave her a little smile and she visibly relaxed, smiled a bit and said "Men!"  so I agreed, "Men."  Off they went, and I didn't see them again.


But I thought about that poor woman and wondered what her life must be like most of the time, and was thankful that for that moment, God had placed me there, wandering around the clothing which I never do, and able to be someone who could offer this woman a bit of compassion.


As believers we often get opportunity to be a bit of a help, and it is up to us to take that opportunity and make the best of it, otherwise regret will follow over what might have been, but wasn't.


vcg/September 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed..